Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 24 #30DaysofMe Earliest memory

30 Days of Me Challenge

Day 24 What is your earliest memory?

   This is a hard one for me since there are so many stories that have been told about me it's hard to tell what I remember & what I've just heard a thousand times from my family! I was flower girl in my Aunt Beth's wedding when I was 3 years old & I sucked my thumb. I guess I was so nervous about getting my part right in front of so many people  I just shoved my thumb in my mouth & marched down the aisle with my little basket. Since my hands were occupied, all the flowers had to stay in the basket though. During the same event I really, really had to use the restroom & I couldn't hold it through the pictures so I wet my underpants. My mom didn't pack extras so she rinsed them out in the restroom of the church & told me I'd just have to wear them wet as she put the damp panties back on me. I went around the rest of the reception telling everyone "I'm gonna wear 'em wet!".  One thing I know for sure was the button in my Grandpa's refrigerator. Just inside the fridge door was a very intriguing button that looked like a doorbell. My grandparents (Pop & JoJo) kept telling me only not to touch it. Under no circumstances was I to touch this button. Of course to a 3-year-old that just made it much more intriguing. We had just gotten home from church so I was all dressed up in a dolled up little dress with ribbons & hair bows, ruffle socks & patent leather shoes. While all the adults were in the living room I sneaked back into the kitchen, eased open the door of the fridge & pressed the forbidden button. Ice cold water came shooting out of the tiny spout I hadn't noticed right above the button! Since I was around 3 I was the perfect height to get hit full on in the face. I yelped & all the grown ups ran in from the living room to see what was wrong with me. I expected to get into trouble but I guess the sight of in my Sunday best soaking wet & shocked to pieces was too much for them because they just about died laughing at me! We still get a kick out of telling that story today. Or they do anyway. I may still be too traumatized by my encounter with what I think was one of the first in fridge water dispensers!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment